Demolition contractor McGee is presently carrying out the demolition of Ludgate House on Blackfriars Road, marking the first stage of Native Land’s 1.4m sq ft Sampson and Ludgate redevelopment.
Several measures have been implemented by McGee in order to increase recycling efforts on-site, minimise landfill waste, and conserve energy.
Less energy, diesel, and water was used when measured against projected targets, and the total carbon footprint of demolition to date is 3250 kg/CO2 lower than originally accounted for.
McGee worked closely in conjunction with waste specialist organisations like NISP and WRAP to ensure the best recycling and recovery measures for a wide range of waste streams.
Of total waste generated on site as of November, 75.4% was recycled and 12.5% was recovered at licensed facilities. In total, 87.9% of waste at Ludgate House has been diverted from landfill.
Alasdair Nicholls, Chief Executive of Native Land, said:
“Native Land is committed to following an environmentally-friendly approach throughout all stages of the development cycle and we are pleased to be working with McGee to progress the demolition of Ludgate House in the most sustainable way possible.”
Marc Byrne, Head of Social Responsibility at McGee, said:
“Environmental best practice and sustainability are central to our site management and we are pleased to work in conjunction with Native Land to deliver industry leading environmental performance at Ludgate House.”
Demolition works at Ludgate House are due to complete in March 2018.
The phased re-development of Sampson House and Ludgate House in Southwark will create 280,000 sq ft of offices, 489 new apartments, as well as 50,000 sq ft of retail, leisure and cultural uses.